Hamilton Conscious Sedation Specialists
Why use IV Sedation?
Do you suffer from dental anxiety when considering treatment? If so, you are not alone. Millions of individuals suffer from dental anxiety and that can be a real barrier to getting necessary treatment. Fortunately, there is a way to make your treatment easier and less painful — with IV sedation.
IV sedation is a way to make dental treatment more comfortable by using a combination of medication and monitoring.
"With IV sedation, you will be more relaxed, allowing us to complete more extensive treatment in less time."
We understand the stress and fear that can be associated with dental treatment and we are committed to ensuring that all of our patients receive the highest quality of care in a safe and comfortable environment. With IV sedation, we can make the experience of dental treatment much less daunting and provide a safe and effective way of reducing dental anxiety.
Benefits of IV Sedation
One of the benefits of IV sedation (or dental sedation) is that it is a safe and effective way to manage pain. IV sedation won’t just take away the stress of the situation — it also effectively numb sthe area being treated and reduces the likelihood of feeling any pain.
- IV sedation helps patients relax during procedures and helps them feel more at ease
- The advanced process used with IV sedation allows for quicker dental treatment compared to other forms of sedation
- IV sedation can create a more restful environment for both you and and dental staff
"We find there is typically a lower risk of complications compared to general anesthesia because you remain conscious throughout the treatment"
- Most patients who have received IV sedation experience minimal recovery time afterward
- Because dental sedation allows you to remain relaxed throughout the treatment, fewer appointments are needed overall
- IV sedation is typically more cost-effective than general anesthesia because it requires fewer medications and is faster
Do you feel anxious or even fearful during dental procedures?
Our dentists are qualified and expereinced in using IV sedation to quickly and effectively help patients relax and feel more at ease.
Call 0800 142 187
Why not use General Anaesthetic?
While general anesthesia has its place for certain patients, in most instances, IV sedations provides a more controlled experience than general anesthesia.
It is not only less risky than general anesthesia, but it also allows you to remain conscious during your procedure.
- IV sedation is much less likely to lead to nausea, vomiting, and grogginess
- IV sedation can also be administered in much lower doses than general anesthesia, resulting in a shorter recovery time for the patient
"We like IV sedation, because patients remain awake and are able to communicate during the procedure"
- IV sedation is much faster to administer, meaning the patient is sedated quicker
- Dental sedation involves fewer risks than general anaesthesia, with fewer effects on cardiovascular or breathing issues.
- Patients tend to recover more quickly from IV sedation than from general anaesthesia
Frequently Asked Questions
IV Sedation for Dental Treatment is a safe and effective sedation method used for dental procedures, such as dental fillings, crowns, extractions and implants, to reduce pain and anxiety before and during dental procedures.
The sedative is given through an intravenous (IV) line, allowing the dentist to control the patient's level of awareness during the procedure.
IV Sedation is considered to be one of the safest and most effective methods of sedation for dental treatment. The dentist will monitor the patient throughout the procedure to ensure patient safety.
It is administered and monitored by our qualified and experienced dentists, allowing for quick and precise dosage adjustments if necessary.
IV sedation typically lasts for around 30-60 minutes, depending on the type of procedure being performed. The dentist can adjust the amount of sedation administered, allowing for shorter periods or longer periods of sedation, as needed.
Like any medical procedure, there are certain risks associated with using IV sedation for dental treatment, including dizziness, disorientation, drowsiness and nausea. However, these risks are usually minor, temporary, and at a lower level than other types of anaesthesia.
Our dentist will take all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of the patient.
The effects of IV Sedation only last for a few hours, but it can take a few days for the residual effects to wear off completely. It's important to plan for a few days of relaxation after your procedure so that you can fully recover.
It is recommended that patients wait at least 24 hours after the procedure before driving, as the effects of the sedation can linger.
It is also recommended that patients wait at least 24 hours before resuming normal activities, such as work, exercise and any strenuous activities.
After the procedure, the patient may feel sleepy or sluggish, and there may be some lingering effects of the sedative. The patient should plan for plenty of rest and allow for at least 24 hours following the procedure for recovery.
For urgent cases we can fast
track wisdom teeth removal
If you are in discomfort or pain we can usually help you quickly and professionally. Call us as soon as possible.
Free no obligation quotes for WINZ
(Work & Income New Zealand)
If you or your child are eligible for Work and Income dental benefits/payments, we can give you a quote for the treatment that is needed.